VCP6-DT and VCP6-DTM
Some time ago I started my preparations for the VMware Certified Professional 6 – Desktop (VCP6-DT) certification. Last week I noticed that the VCP6-DT exam and certification will be retired as soon as November 30, 2015.
This year VMware started making major changes in their Certification Roadmap, like abandoning the Advanced Professional level and introducing the Implementation level. The number of new Version 6 exams is still growing. An overview of the available certifications can be found here.
For an overview of retired exams and certifications can be found here.
Another difference between Version 5 and Version 6 certification; VMware does no longer publish a downloadable Exam Blueprint but only an online version. A “Last Updated” section has been added. I also hope version control will also be added in the future.
I have converted the exam topics, dated 27 July 2015 in a downloadable document. Links to the documentation have been added.
Comparison between the VCP6-DT and VCP6-DTM objectives:
- The VCP6-DT has 12 sections; the VCP6-DTM has only 6 sections.
- The 6 missing sections (7-12) covered topics also found in the well-known VCP-DCV exams; like basic vSphere networking, storage, deployment of virtual machines.
Imho it does not make sense to repeat these objectives in this exam while the VCP-DCV certification is a prerequisite.
- There have been some changes in Objective 1.1 (differentiate Horizon View Components)
- VCP6-DT, objective 1.5 topics related to RDSH have disappeared.
- VCP6-DT, objective 12.3 has been moved and renamed to section 1.6 (vRealize Operations Manager For Horizon)
The VCP6-DTM exam will be available on 30 August 2015, the requirements did not change:
- If you hold a valid VCP certification for any other solution track; complete the VMware Certified Professional 6 – Desktop and Mobility Exam.
- If you don’t hold a valid VCP certification for any other solution track; complete the vSphere 6 Foundations Exam (VCP-DCV) and the VMware Certified Professional 6 – Desktop and Mobility Exam.
- If you hold a current VCP6-DT certification, you will automatically be granted VCP6-DTM certification status.
As always I thank you for reading.