While configuring an ESXi server to sent logging to a syslog server, nothing happened. After some time I found out that for an unknown reason, on the ESXi server the syslog service has stopped. Here are the steps to check and resolve this issue.
- Log in as root on the ESXi server, see KB 1017910 how to log in on a ESXi server.
- Execute this command to check: # ps | grep syslog
- If there is no output, syslog has stopped.
- To restart syslog, just type this command: # syslogd
- Again, do the check, now it should show something like:
<process number> busybox syslogd